Re: members views on linux

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post by Strum » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:22 pm

Hi Guys! What advantages are there to having 2 systems running when one works fine? XP in my case? I spend enough time keeping this one operating smoothly than to download another one? Did I just answer my own question? Can I burn the linux to disk and run it from there, just out of curiousity like?
I thought Linux was a friend of Snoopy?  :glupek2:
:guitarhero: [img width=248]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9080/headanim4sm.gif[/img]  This is my shadows shadow...

teak goblin
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by teak goblin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:49 pm

hiya strum

duel booting can come in handy sometimes

say for instance  windows doesnt boot

its all about what you want really some likt some dont

strum you can download a linux live cd ( make it is a live version)

burn it then boot from it

strum try it . just make sure you download the live cd if your gonna use it on your main rig

cheers
Tg
Look into the Goblins Eyes

Image    Image

Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post by Strum » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:04 pm

teak goblin wrote:strum you can download a linux live cd ( make it is a live version)

Cheers Teaky,

How do mean "live version"? Excuse my ignorance please. Do I download the linux OS to my harddrive then burn it to disk? and then run it from the disc?
:guitarhero: [img width=248]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9080/headanim4sm.gif[/img]  This is my shadows shadow...

teak goblin
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by teak goblin » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:20 pm

hi strum

yes pick which distro you want  look for the  live version  and download the iso too
your hard drive

then burn it
thats it

just google for live cds lots out there

suse 9.1 is a good starter
xandros
mempis
ubuntu

these are all easy to use  if its a first time linux user

hope this helps

Image    Image

subgeniusd
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by subgeniusd » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:23 pm

TG is the real expert so he can correct this if needs correcting.

Yes - you transfer the OS ISO from your HD to CD then boot up and run from the CD. That is safer but also slower.  You can also send for live cds or get them from Linux magazines. I know lots of experts dual boot (from the HD) but if you are not an expert and something goes haywire ......well then you can use your second computer or go buy another one and spend lots of time on Linux forums getting useful advice from very nice people who assume you have a degree in computer science. So stick with the live cd or dedicate a machine exclusively to Linux--like this one I am using at this moment.

Has anyone else noticed that this site is not real happy with Opera 8.54?

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:07 pm

subgeniusd wrote:

I'm using Opera 8.5 - no problems using it on this site. Perhaps I won't update!

Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

Post by Strum » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:54 pm

Squeezebox wrote:I'm using Opera 8.5 - no problems using it on this site. Perhaps I won't update!

I have ver 8.51 and works fine... so as Dave says...I think I'll stick with it for now then.

Thanks for the above info guys.
A second pc would be a good thing to mess about with because I value this one too much. I'm hopping now because of a missed opportunity on Saturday. I was at a church fete and a Compaq pc + printer, scanner and desk was up for £25. I have no transport and had to leave it!  :yworried:

Oh well!  :tiphat:

teak goblin
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by teak goblin » Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:21 pm

subgeniusd wrote:TG is the real expert so he can correct this if needs correcting.

Yes - you transfer the OS ISO from your HD to CD then boot up and run from the CD. That is safer but also slower.  You can also send for live cds or get them from Linux magazines. I know lots of experts dual boot (from the HD) but if you are not an expert and something goes haywire ......well then you can use your second computer or go buy another one and spend lots of time on Linux forums getting useful advice from very nice people who assume you have a degree in computer science. So stick with the live cd or dedicate a machine exclusively to Linux--like this one I am using at this moment.

As i said before i am no expert with linux ( thanks for the cred )

i know how to download linux and convert the iso
the problem starts when some distros ask you to install manually to the hard drive
this is when it can become to much for some one just starting out with linux and who as maybe picked the wrong distro

how many of you reading this topic understands :-
/dev/hdc
this is what linux may ask you if you are trying to load it to an hard drive

any way

just try a live cd there is no risk to your hard drive ( as long as it is a live cd not an installation disk)

as for opera, im using ver 802 and its sweet ( sorry dave/strum im a bit behind the times but it works how i want it)

cheers
TG
Last edited by Squeezebox on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Image    Image

fleamailman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fleamailman » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:39 am

it has been about two years now that I gave up windows for linux and never looked back, mostly on kubuntu but more recently I have been on mint linux not because mint is better but just because there is no after install with mint linux as everything(mp3, streams, codexes, etc.) is bundled in from start(as opposed to having everything allowed in later) meaning that one just does the live CD test for drivers and if all the drivers are recognised, then one just installs. It works with 256ram but I find it perfect on 512ram. The only downside for me is that Mint is gnome whereas I find kde to be lighter, but driver recognition is better on gnome. Anyway if someone here wants to try linux I would suggest mint to start with, thanks
The goblin took a hike, fleamailman's account has been taken over by a different serious me then.

kemo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kemo » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:35 am

Good lord this place died! Well anywho... I use Linux of course, Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit at the moment.

I'm tellin ya, comparing that to Windows 7RTM Ultimate 64 isn't even fair cuz Ubuntu... thus far, blows it out of the water. 6 blue screens with Windows 7, and I've been using it for 2 days now.

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 am

Yes the site did die for awhile. We are back now. I have been putting some time into getting everything back to where we were. Thanks for coming back