Firefox 1.0.7

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
bookworm
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by bookworm » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:35 pm

Firefox 1.0.7 released get it here http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
aiobeal

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by Essexboy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 9:32 pm

I downloaded and clean installed it last night yet for some unknown reason it went into a loop when I tried to start it. I was unable to find or fix the error so I had to revert to 1.06. If anyone has a solution or experienced this could they give me a shout Ta :oops:
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/essexboymkn/

If ignorance is bliss  why aren't more people happy?

bookworm
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by bookworm » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:16 pm

I never unistall Firefox when updating, I leave the original in place, that way it updates but keeps all my themes and settings and bookmarks just the way I like. Just one point was it 1.0.7 or was it the Beta version, there have been problems with that version.

Also you have IE7 beta some kind of conflict, I have IE7 Beta but have not installed yet, just a thought.

Hope this helps :D
Last edited by bookworm on Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aiobeal

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by Essexboy » Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:19 pm

Fraid not just updated via the update option. Same problem must be something in my system. I'll do more investigating tomorrow
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by windowsxp550 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:35 am

Here is what I read over on the Firefox forum's....It sounds like you probably are experiencing a problem with an extension or Theme...

__________Begin Copy From Firefox's Forum_____________

* Poorly designed or incompatible Extensions can cause problems with your browser, including make it crash, slow down page display, etc. If you encounter strange problems relating to parts of the browser no longer working, the browser not starting, windows with strange or distorted appearance, degraded performance, etc, you may be suffering from Extension or Theme trouble. Restart the browser in Safe Mode. On Windows, start using the "Safe Mode" shortcut created in your Start menu or by running firefox.exe -safe-mode. On Linux, start with ./firefox -safe-mode and on Mac OS X, run:

cd /Applications/Firefox.app/Contents/MacOS/
./firefox-bin -safe-mode
When started in Safe Mode all extensions are disabled and the Default theme is used. Disable the Extension/Theme that is causing trouble and then start normally.

If you uninstall an extension that is installed with your user profile (i.e. you installed it from a web page) and then wish to install it for all user profiles using the -install-global-extension command line flag, you must restart the browser once to cleanse the profile extensions datasource of traces of that extension before installing with the switch. If you do not do this you may end up with a jammed entry in the Extensions list and will be unable to install the extension globally.

If you encounter strange problems relating to bookmarks, downloads, window placement, toolbars, history, or other settings, it is recommended that you try creating a new profile and attempting to reproduce the problem before filing bugs. Create a new profile by running Firefox with the -P command line argument, choose the "Manage Profiles" button and then choose "Create Profile...". Migrate your settings files (Bookmarks, Saved Passwords, etc) over one by one, checking each time to see if the problems resurface. If you do find a particular profile data file is causing a problem, file a bug and attach the file.

__________end copy from Firefox's Forum____________

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by Essexboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:19 am

Okey Dokey I'll try a clean unencumbered install later and see what happens. Cheers
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by Essexboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:19 pm

OK done it but I needed to completely remove FF from my system. The looping file was prefs.js . However on reflection it may have been script sentry that was causing the problem, but I am doubtful.
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

bookworm
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by bookworm » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:37 pm

Thanks win550, a few odd things going on, eg Spybot Search&Destroy would not update and Firefox running slow, so I thought I would remove the Firefox Theme I have installed, voila SBS&D installed updates and Firefox flying.Never suspected it was a theme in Firefox causeing the problem.

So thanks once again :D
aiobeal

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Firefox 1.0.7

Post by Essexboy » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:40 pm

I have all my themes and extensions back on now and everything is OK. Extensions - Flashgot, AIroboform, Tweaknetwork
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)