Windows XP2 Error: "Can't find Server"

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
John at Wagga
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Windows XP2 Error: "Can't find Server"

Post by John at Wagga » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:51 am

When I try to open a file, I get the home  page, but when I try to go to the next page, or to log in, I get the message that "Can't find Server".  I don't know what a Server is, or how to look for it.  Can you help?

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows XP2 Error: "Can't find Server"

Post by Squeezebox » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:04 am

A server is the computer you connect to when viewing a web page.

I suspect that you either don't have an Internet connection when this happens, or you have your browser set to work offline.

1. Check you are not working offline in the menu go to File - look down the bottom of the drop down menu from there. Click to toggle off/on line working.

If you are using IE7 without the menu showing, click on the cogged wheel icon in the tools tray to get to the menu. Work off/online is halfway down.

2. Make sure your connection setting is correct. Tools/Internet Options (or from the same icon as above). Connections tab - if you are on a broadband roputer this should be showing 'never dial a connection', if you are on dialup or a modem, you should have a tick in the box to 'dial whenever a network connection is not present'.

Finally, make sure your internet connection, the router or modem etc is all working.