Lots of issues w/ XP

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
thedukes_mom
Contributor
Contributor

Lots of issues w/ XP

Post by thedukes_mom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:49 am

I am the only user on this computer, but I have files/folders that I can't access.  Also, I have a white screen on my desktop, it has option to restore active desktop, I have tried all of the options, and none of them have worked.  Actually, when I go to desktop, and When I try to select my regular background, it will not let me click on any of them.
Someone please help me resolve these issues ONCE AND FOR GOOD!!!

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lots of issues w/ XP

Post by windowsxp550 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:46 am

To fix the wallpaper issue you have to go into your registry and delete a few problematic keys.  First click start then run then type regedit then click ok. 

Before I go further, since this fix does involve the registry, I have to post the general registry editing disclaimer:

Disclaimer:  Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. Modify the registry at your own risk, Every effort has been made to ensure that registry edit instructions are correct and safe. FixMyXP cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your system by following these instructions

Ok, heres the rest of the instructions...

navigate to:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

If you see a key named Wallpaper or WallpaperStyle, right click on them and delete them (if you have both, delete both)

Then navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and look for the same keys, (Wallpaper and WallpaperStyle).  Delete them, and restart and your wallpaper should allow you to change it.

the values "Wallpaper" and "WallPaperStyle" in the right-pane.

thedukes_mom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedukes_mom » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:03 am

I tried what you suggested and did not see Wallpaper or wallpaperstyle when I navigated to either search.  Any other suggestions, could this problem be related to why I can't open some folders??

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:16 am

For some people, disabling and restarting Active Desktop fixes the problem:

1. Open the Control Panel.
      2. Open Display Properties.
      3. Click the Desktop tab.
      4. Click the Customize Desktop button.
      5. Click the Web tab in the Desktop Items window.

If you wish to enable the Active Desktop, check "My Current Home Page". Add your current home page into your desktop or click New to add another web page and/or other Active Desktop features. To update the content, click the Synchronize button.

If you wish to disable Active Desktop, make sure all checkboxes in this window are un-checked.

Another possibility is that your user profile had become corrupted and you are losing your settings. You could try creating a new user account for yourself - make sure you have full admin rights. Then delete the existing account.

What folders can't you see/open? Is it just the system folders and files?

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:56 am

you shouldnt have been using the search feature.  were you in your registry?

Please read my instructions carefully...you should not have been using any search

My instructions stated to:
click on your start button, then click Run, then type regedit then click ok (doing this opens up your Registry).

Once the regedit window opens, Then you would navigate to the keys that I listed.  If you need help with navigating in the registry, read this---->  http://www.fixmyvista.com/content/view/35/26/

So you should be navigating to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Once you are there look for the Wallpaper and WallpaperStyle keys  and if you find them right click on them and delete

Then navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

and look for Wallpaper and WallpaperStyle keys and if you find them right click on them and delete.