How Do I Expand Start Menu "Programs" Menu

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
NerdXing
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

How Do I Expand Start Menu "Programs" Menu

Post by NerdXing » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:37 am

Just bought a new computer and forgot how to correct this. When the start menu expands...

Start Menu - Programs - Program Folders - etc etc

When I click on the arrow next to Programs it open a menu with folders of programs I can open. At the bottom of this menu are two downward pointing arrows which expand the list to show programs not used recently. I find this soooo annoying. I want to show ALL programs on the menu not just the most used. How do I d this?

PLEASE help!

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How Do I Expand Start Menu "Programs" Menu

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:03 am

Hi,

Right-click on the Start button and then Properties from the menu.

Change the menu choice from Classic to Start Menu.
That should sort it for you.

NerdXing
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by NerdXing » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:18 pm

That is a solution but how would I do it if I keep the classic style menu? I Hate the newer style menu.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:27 pm

You have the choice ......

NerdXing
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by NerdXing » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:20 am

My choice is to keep the classic menu. After a couple of days searching I found an answer.  If anyone else has this problem there IS a fix:

Q: I have Windows XP. My problem is that when I click the start menu, my rarely used programs are 'auto hidden', and I have to hover over the arrow to get them to appear. I want all the programs to appear when I click the start menu.
How can I turn off this annoying 'auto hide' type thing in my start menu? I am using the 'classic' windows view.

A:
Right click the Start button, go to Properties, Classic Start - click customize. In the Advanced Start menu options, scroll down and uncheck the "Use Personalized Menus" box. Then apply and close.

A:
Windows XP really wants you to keep a clean Desktop, so every 60 days, it checks for icons that you haven't used since the last time it checked. With your permission, it will move such icons from the Desktop to a folder (you can move them back, of course). To disable this behavior right click on the desktop, choose Properties then click on the Desktop Tab and choose Customize Desktop. Remove the check next to Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days. Later, if you wish, you can click the Clean Desktop Now button to invoke the wizard manually.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:20 am

Thanks for coming back to tell us that, something new I've learned. I looked at that setting, and I discovered that it wouldn't work well for me - I have too many programs!

I also have my desktop set to Windows Classic, I don't like any of the XP gaudy colours. If you want to, try the ordinary Start Menu option but with Classic theme - you might find it even better.

kingkong
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by kingkong » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:26 pm

Thnx for posting that.

How do you also stop menus in MS Word 2000 etc from auto-hiding items on the file, edit menu etc...?

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:07 pm

To show the menus in Word:

1. Right-click on the tool-bar, choose 'Customise' from the menu.
2. On the 'Options' tab take the tick out of the box to 'show full menus after a short delay'.

kingkong
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by kingkong » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:12 pm

Aha works perfectly, thx Squeezebox!