Cant connect to ONE specific website

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Cant connect to ONE specific website

Post by khalid » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:34 am

Hi im new here and i have a really weird problem that noone seems to be able to help me with including HP, the software manufacturer and my ISP. I bought some new software called system mechanic by iolo technologies and when installing it tries to connect to its website (www.iolo.com) to complete registration and for other installation purposes. Every single time it tries to connect, i get a message saying it "could not connect, check your internet connection and try again." My internet works fine and i can access any website on it but when i try www.iolo.com even manually it still doesn't work. This is the only site my computer wont access. I uninstalled every anti-virus software, disabled my firewall and turned off pop up blockers and tried and it still doesn't work. I am using firefox as my browser but i also have IE and ive tried it using both and still nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cant connect to ONE specific website

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:49 am

I was able to access that web site OK, so there's two possibilities.

1. Somehow, the address for the site has been added to your Hosts file. The IP address for iolo.com is:  216.246.97.6

To check that, you first need to create a desktop shortcut to open the hosts file.
Right-click on the desktop, New, Shortcut. Paste into the box this:

C:\WINDOWS\NOTEPAD.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\HOSTS

Name the shortcut "hosts". Now open the new shortcut - and make sure that the IP address is NOT in the file.  Delete and save if it is there.

2. There may be a problem with your ISP - you can only get them to resolve it.

khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by khalid » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:05 pm

OK.
Firstly, thanks for your response i appreciate any help i could get....
Secondly, I tried exactly what you said with the host file and the ip address for iolo is NOT there. I already spoke with Comcast (My ISP) and they said everything seems to be perfect with my connection because i can access any other website and everything on their end is fine.

Please anyone! I need help on this.

khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by khalid » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:39 pm

I Spoke to an hp rep last night and he tried to troubleshoot this problem with me for quite a while and we came up with nothing. He instructed me to do a full system restore and that should resolve the problem. I did a full restore and formatted the HD and STILL NOTHING! The site still does not work and i dont think its my ISP because i can connect to the website using my pda on the same wifi connection.

khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by khalid » Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:39 pm

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Essexboy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:49 pm

If the problem recurred after a format then it does not make logical sense.  Can you Google Iolo and get on that way ?
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/essexboymkn/

If ignorance is bliss  why aren't more people happy?

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:56 pm

Also, see if you can access the website using a site that hides your location, such as, http://www.anonymouse.org

If you are able to view the website using anonymouse.org, then it has to be either your ISP or it is the site that is blocking you (perhaps they thought you were a spammer, or you share the first part of your IP with a known spammer....I know that for this site, I have had to block many ranges of ips to prevent spam.  Spam is a horrible problem for us website admins, what a spammer will do is set some kind of automated robot that keeps spamming the site from a specific IP.  If that IP is blocked it will automatically change its IP slightly, for example the spam might start from an ip 71.144.23.51.  Then when that ip is blocked it will start spamming from 71.144.23.67 etc.  To block this, the website admin can simply block all ip's that begin with 71.    Changing the first two digits is much harder for the spammer...but the downside of doing this, is that the website admin may be inadvertantly blocking a legitimate visitor who also has 71 as the first two numbers in his IP)  SPAM SUCKS.....It really is this bad.  I have been dealing with it for awhile now.

khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by khalid » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:05 pm

This has to be one of the weirdest things ive seen yet. OK so like i said before i could not get onto the site from my main computer which is connected to my router directly btu i could get onto it from my pda wirelessly so i figured, logically that it cant be my ISP or my router/modem. NOW after formatting and everything and trying all known approaches I decided to just try going from my modem directly to my computer and bypassing the router and VOILA!!!!!
ALL OF A SUDDEN IT WORKS!!!!! and then strangely enough when i reconnect the entire thing, router and all, just as i had it before it WORKS FINE! Now i can get on to the website no problem. Now if thats not the weirdest thing then i dont know what is!
but I thank you all for your input!!

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:36 pm

I reckon it was the thought of all of us three 'experts' getting stuck into the problem that frightened it into working again.

At least you're back to normal now, whatever the reason was.

khalid
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by khalid » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:05 pm

LOL Yea!