Windows XP crashes in loading screen.

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
owenfry
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Windows XP crashes in loading screen.

Post by owenfry » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help cos i am tearing my hair out over this. Just recently my computer started acting up. It's a year old, amd athlon x2 with nvidia gt7600. during startup it would randomly freeze on the loading screen, but resetting the computer and starting again seemed to work, then it stopped completely and wouldn't load. i started in safe mode and messed around with the drivers, removing nv4_mini. after that it was working fine, although it did freeze up on the loading screen every now and then. now it won't work at all. it gets to the windows xp screen with the scrolling blue bar, loads for a while, then freezes. going in to safe mode and messing with the drivers now has no effect.

i would ddo a complete re-install but i have some important files which unfortunately have not been backed up. is it possible to partition the hard drive in safe mode so that i could put the important files on a separate partition?

hope someone can help?
thanks.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows XP crashes in loading screen.

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:06 pm

"messing with the drivers" isn't necessarily a good idea. At the safe mode screen, you could try 'Last Known Good Configuration'.

You could also try a repair install of XP. That way, your files and data will remain, only the system files will be fixed.