Annoying Recurring Folder

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
Lyman
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Annoying Recurring Folder

Post by Lyman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:37 am

So I made a mistake upon starting my Windows XP install a few months ago. I moved my "My Music" folder from My Documents onto my Desktop. I later found that this didn't work for me, so I re-created "My Music" in My Docs and moved all files from the desktop one to it. Then I deleted the desktop one.

Problem is, every time I reboot Windows, that "My Music" folder reappears back on my desktop -- without the special icon, too. No matter how many times I delete it, it returns next boot. Even if I move it to My Documents and "replace" the existing folder with it.

How do I put a stop to it?

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Annoying Recurring Folder

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:53 am

Basically, you have to deal with moving the folder from within 'My Documents'.  Because it is a shell folder, XP is going to keep putting it back unless you change the location in the right manner.

In Windows 2000, Microsoft added the ability to right-click the My Documents folder and choose a new location for that folder in the shell. With Windows XP, Microsoft has elevated the My Music and My Pictures folders to the same "special shell folder" status of My Documents, but they never added a similar (and simple) method for changing those folder's locations. However, it is actually pretty easy to change the location of these folders, using the following method.

Open a My Computer window and navigate to the location where you'd like My Music (or My Pictures) to reside. Then, open the My Documents folder in a different window. Drag the My Music (or My Pictures) folder to the other window, and Windows XP will update all of the references to that folder to the new location, including the Start menu.

After you've done the above, move the contents only of the other music folder you have created into the newly located My Music folder. You can then delete the one you created.

Lyman
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by Lyman » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:07 pm

I even used TweakUI to try to repoint the folder path, but it didn't fix it. Guess what the problem turned out to be:

AIM stored my "sharing" folder as the Desktop folder of "My Music" and would re-create the folder on startup every time.

Time to switch to Pidgin ~.^

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:23 pm

Oh well, at least you've solved it.

I should have thought that it might have been a program 'interfering'!