serious problem with XP...HELP!!!

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
sohelpme0538
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

serious problem with XP...HELP!!!

Post by sohelpme0538 » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:27 am

I turned my computer on and everything was giant sized. The font also changed on all my icons. everything just looks weird. any suggestions????

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: serious problem with XP...HELP!!!

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:29 am

The first thing to check is your desktop settings. Right-click on the desktop and select 'Properties'.

On the Settings tab, make sure that the slider is set to an appropriate setting for your monitor such as 1024x768.

You might also need to check the 'Appearance' tab and make sure normal size font etc is selected.

There's a remote chance that the magnifier has been turned on. Go to Start/Accessories/Accessibility and turn it off if needed.

If you can't find any settings that are wrong, it could be a problem with your video card or the drivers for it. We'll look at that if the above checks don't solve it.

sohelpme0538
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by sohelpme0538 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:14 am

first off...thanks for your help. all my settings seem to be in order. and i got things to shrink back down but theres a folder that opens up when windows starts named commons, theres nothing in it and I dont know why it opens. do you think I have a virus, I just installed Norton 360 after everything got screwed up and it didnt catch a virus.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:08 am

Go to Start/Run and type 'msconfig' in the box to launch the system config utility.

Look in the Startup list for a blank entry and disable it.

If the above doesn't work, we may need the help of a HijackThis log plus the expert eye of Essexboy.