Unknown CD Drive appeared!!!

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
J4ckf
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Unknown CD Drive appeared!!!

Post by J4ckf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:27 am

Please please someone help

for no reason at all i have a cd drive that has appeared in "my computer" that i cant get rid of, i have a normal dvd drive that works fine but i dont phisically have another cd drive but it is telling me i do.
i wouldnt mind however it has stolen the drive letter of my external harddrive so i can no longer start the programs on my external harddrive. 
the normal thing to do would be to go onto disk management and swap drive letters, however in disk management the cd drive that i dont have is not there.

please any suggestions would be great as i really have no idea what to do
thanks
Jack

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Unknown CD Drive appeared!!!

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:55 pm

If you connect  up your external drive - then start the PC, does the phantom CD drive still show?

My suspicion is that the 'CD' drive is actually your external drive and Windows isn't seeing as removable media that isn't connected.

J4ckf
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by J4ckf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:02 pm

the drive is still there if i connect then turn on.
windows still can see my external drive it just has a different drive letter, also if it thought it was the harddrive then wouldnt i be able to open it and see my files because if i do try and open it it just says please insert a disk into drive I

thanks

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:56 pm

Try this:

Click Start - Run and type 'cmd'  then click 'OK'

At a command prompt, type the following command:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1  and press ENTER

Still at the command prompt, type the following command :

start devmgmt.msc   and press ENTER

When Device Manager opens, click View> Show hidden devices.

Remove any entries that exist for the phantom CD drive under the DVD/CD-ROM Drives category.

Close Device Manager and reboot.

PS Virtual drive programs create a virtual drive. Alcohol 120% and Daemon Tools are examples. I've seen comment that Nero may do it too.  Are you using one of them?
Last edited by Squeezebox on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

J4ckf
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by J4ckf » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:36 pm

i did what you said and the only cd drive that is in device manager is my normal dvd drive. the unknown drive is not there.

i do have nero but iv had it for ages i dont see why it would create a virtual drive now, is there anyway of finding out if it is from nero or how to get rid of it????

thanks very much

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:27 pm

If you've done all that and it doesn't show, I can only suggest two other  things to try. Bear in mind that these are suggestions, I haven't encountered this problem before.

First thing to try is deleting it from Disk Management.

If that doesn't solve it, you could try deleting your CD drive in Device Manager and letting Windows detect it again on reboot.

64bitAMD
Contributor
Contributor

Post by 64bitAMD » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Jack.
What I would try is to turn the computer off, disconnect all drives (CD, DVD, HD's), except the harddrive with your operating system on it, & then boot the computer into windows. Then check Device Manager to make sure they're all gone, remove them if they're not. When you can only see a C drive, turn the computer back off, & as slow as it may seem, reconnect the physical drives one at a time, rebooting the computer each time to see that it is recognised by windows properly. This is likely to affect assigning of drive letters, so you might wish to connect your drives in the order you wish to see them. You probably could just reconnect all drives at once, though if your having trouble with them, I would reconnect them one at a time.
Hope this helps.
Please note that if the problem is being caused by a "virtual drive" created by daemon tools or the like, this may not help, though it may give an indication as to whether it's a physical drive or a virtual drive.
Last edited by 64bitAMD on Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllThumbs
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by AllThumbs » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:18 am

In Nero, open Nero Smart Start, select tools, Open Image Drive.  Then you sould be able to select diable to remove the phantom drive.

J4ckf
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by J4ckf » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 pm

thanks for all your suggestions but still no luck!
any other ideas????

darkhorse
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by darkhorse » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:02 pm

Hi

First post on this site.

I just discovered the same problem of a phantom drive that had taken over D: and shunted all my other drive letters out of sequence.  I had just installed a new WD 500Gb hard drive and transferred the contents of an old Samsung 160Gb onto it when I discovered that programs weren't running as they should.

Thanks to 64bit AMD for putting me on the right track to finding the problem.

I have PowerIso and Daemon Tools on the computer and it turned out to be PowerIso that had taken over the D: drive slot. 

@Jack it does sound like an identical issue and it could be that you also have a virtual drive problem.  Good luck!!