device driver error = BSOD

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

device driver error = BSOD

Post by spaldini101 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:43 pm

Every once in awhile... like once every 2 weeks or so I get the BSOD saying that the shutdown was caused by a device driver error/problem. How do I figure out exactly what's causing this and how to fix it. I'm a total novice at this and also can't figure out how to do a search of this site to get info on this, since I'm sure this must be a often asked question... sorry. I'm also getting the little yellow exclamation point thing in the lower left hand corner saying stuff like "donr but with error" of w/ "done" or "error on page"... what's that all about?
Last edited by spaldini101 on Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: device driver error = BSOD

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:57 pm

To answer your questions one at a time:

1. BSOD - we need to know what error is reported, so make a note of the details when it next happens and let us know.

2. There is a search button at the top of the forum page (below the main title). Use that to search - and make sure your search criteria has the right key words in it.

3. Your browser may not have loaded all the page components. If you are able to use the site properly, nothing obvious missing, I would ignore it.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:14 pm

Well... maybe I should disable the auto-restart? ... the info disappears on the BSOD before I can look at it (not that I would know what any of it means).  The only info I get is on the Microsoft error reprting page, that says the problem was caused by a device driver.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 pm

It just happened again, during a disk clean-up, but I think that's the 1st time it ever occured that way, ... it auto-restarted (don't know how to disable that) so I couldn't read anything on the blue screen, in fact I wsn't even at the comp. when it restarted. But this is what I collected from MS Error Reporting page:

Error Signiture
BCCode : 100000d1    BCP1 : 8AF54BD8    BCP2 : 00000002    BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : F864B473    OSVer : 5_1_2600    SP : 2_0    Product : 768_1   

The following files will be included in this error re[port:

C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb7e4.dir00\Mini111207-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERb7e4.dir00\sysdata.xml

Problem caused by Device Driver

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly.
This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 pm

To stop the auto-restart:

Right-click on My Computer and select 'Properties'.

Select the Advanced tab and then Settings button in the Startup & Recovery section.

Take the tick out of the box to automatically restart on system failure.

You could also look at the Hardware tab while you are there and open up Device Manager. Make sure that there are none with a yellow warning against them.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:33 am

Thanks Dave,
Have disabled the auto restart and have checked the device manager... all "+" signs.  So, the next time this happens... I should do what? Copy what shows on the BSOD and post it here?  I'm assuming the info I posted from the "error reporting" page doesn't tell you much?  Thanks for your help and patience.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:47 am

That's correct.

When you do post the details of the BSOD, there's no guarantee I will be able to provide a solution, my knowledge is finite but it's the stop code + the text details that will give us a clue. Others may get involved though, so between us .........

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:44 pm

Roger that.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:28 am

New problem now... same result... BSOD shutdown. Unfortunately I was not at the helm when it occurred, so I don't have any details... other than this from the error report:[/i]
"Problem caused by computer hardware

This problem was caused by an unrecoverable hardware error that caused the operating system to stop functioning.

Troubleshooting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have received this error more than once, it could indicate a serious problem with your computer. We recommend that you do the following:

Back up your files to avoid data loss in case of a complete hardware failure.
Contact the original manufacturer of your computer to determine the specific component which is failing.
Additional technical information

Although we know the problem is caused by a hardware component, the error report does not contain enough information to tell us the specific component. It is likely that the problem is being caused by one of the following computer components:

Random Access Memory (RAM)
System board
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
Power supply

Only out of the ordinary thing I did was defrag today[/i]

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:39 am

As your PC has reported a hardware problem, I don't think the defrag is anything to do with it.

I would open the case and check that memory and CPU are seated properly and that the fans are are clean and  running properly. Give it a clean inside if necessary.

You could also try running a memory tester - you do this from a bootable CD or floppy. Memtest86 is one I've used in the past http://www.memtest.org/

How old is your PC?

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:01 pm

Thanks Dave, I'll give those things a shot when I get home from work today.  Just guessing... I'd say that the comp. is about 5 - 6 years old, possibly older. I had an additional fan installed a few years back for an overheating problem. I haven't cleaned the insides for quite some time.. and it does sit on carpeting.

Jim

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:22 pm

It's getting on a bit now - might be a motherboard problem ..........

Go for the cheaper repairs first though. If replacing memory solves it, you will save yourself the expense of a new motherboard or computer.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:24 pm

Went to the memtest.org site... it seemed a bit daunting for me.  Lots of different download options, very technical, given my level of expertise (minimal). I'm also confused as to why the PC seemed to go through a shutdown and auto restart, given the fact that no one was using it at the time AND that I had unchecked the "auto-restart after shutdown" option.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Am I right in thinking that the PC is working OK right now?

And that it has only done this restart with the hardware error report once?

The original problem with the BSOD hasn't resurfaced?

If that is so, then I would leave it alone, putting it down to 'one of those things'.
It's also possible that all of the problems are due to your hard drive beginning to fail. Make sure you have all of your data backed up in case you end up having to replace the drive. You'll need a Windows XP disk if it does die on you.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm

You are correct, it IS working fine now... but then again it always works fine between the "device driver BSOD's", too.  And it's not unusual for many weeks to go by w/o a shut down.  Yes, again to the "hardware error"... only one time. 

With regards to the backup... I have a Maxtor PS 5000 external HD... is there a way to confirm that your data is actually there and retrievable?  I've always been a little skeptical as to its performance given that the "One Touch" feature has never worked.  Should I be able to open any application along w/ its data directly from the external drive... say Quickbooks?

One additional unrelated question. Adding a USB 2.0 controller card... easy to do? ... anything to avoid or watch out for? There seems to be a wide range of prices ($10 to $100) for what appears to be virtually the same thing.

And again, thank you... and excuse my ignorance.