device driver error = BSOD

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: device driver error = BSOD

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:58 pm

With regards to the backup... I have a Maxtor PS 5000 external HD... is there a way to confirm that your data is actually there and retrievable?
You should be able to see all the data on the drive using Windows Explorer. You will also be able to open the backed up files directly from the drive.
Should I be able to open any application along w/ its data directly from the external drive... say Quickbooks?
The application has to be installed on the main PC - but you should be able to open the files. I use QuickBooks and my files are backed up onto both an external hard drive and onto flash drives. I can open the files from either source. A tip is, never use the QuickBooks backup facility. Instead copy the main company files to your backup media.
Adding a USB 2.0 controller card... easy to do?
Piece of cake, and with XP you probably won't need to install any drivers either. It should be simply a case of plug & play as long as you have a spare slot for the card to go into. I would shop around and I wouldn't necessarily go for the cheapest. Check out customer reviews if you can.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:31 am

OK... I'm hoping we have some usable info here. This time I was able to get this:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0x0000005, 0xBF95AB5,0x9B3C2504, 0x00000000)

*** ati2dvag.dll - Address BF9F5AB5 base at BF9D5000, DateStamp 00000000

I have an ATI graphics accelerator card, which one...?... don't know, I guess, w/o opening the case.  Also, I read in the ATI installation manual about first installing the latest AGP Drivers for non-Intel chipset based motherboards, which I believe mine to be... a VIA Technologies m.b. Are we on to something you think?

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:33 am

I continued poking around w/ what I could go on... not knowing if I'm going in the wrong or right direction. Found the VIA website, ran this free scan called "Driver Agent" and it identified the VIA Bus Master IDE Controller as having a "bad" driver... along w/ several others... Creative Game Port, Creative SB Audigy, USB Mass Storage Device, etc.  Possibility, you think???? the VIA item at least? Checked on my motherboard and chipset type: VIA - KT 266A, just in case

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:37 am

Hi Jim,

So it's kicked off again has it?  I would be surprised if you have so a many drivers bad all at once. If they were all bad you would have lots of issues and a lot more failures.

Having said that, replacing the drivers might improve things anyway. Does the Driver Agent allow you to download/update drivers through it? Try one at time though.

To find out the actual drivers you need, download Belarc Advisor and run it to produce a printable report of what's on your PC: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Before updating any drivers, create a restore point just in case.

The problem might be your hard drive, and if the Driver Agent wasn't able to read it cleanly, that might explain so many drivers reported as 'bad'. Do you ever get any unusual sounds from the hard drive? Does it seem a bit noisy?

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:42 pm

Hey Dave,
For some reason I wasn't notified when you responded on the 10th. Anyway, the "Driver Agent" scan did give a printable report... and yes, of course they want you to update through them... that's where they make their money... LOL. It's like ordering off a menu.

But, I have already updated the (motherboard driver?), the one that said "VIA Bus Master IDE Controller", nothing else yet. Some of the others seemed somewhat unimportant...i.e. a modem that's not in use, Creative game port, Creative SB Audigy, and several under the "USB Controllers" category. (but, what do I know)  I thought I'd wait a little before installing the USB 2.0 card.. you know change something ,  wait a little... then change something else. 

No strange sounds from the hard drive, that I've noticed.

Will run the "belarc" scan and see what I get.

Thank you again and have a great Christmas.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:00 pm

Thanks for the update Jim - and have a great Christmas yourself.
(Not long to go now - then it's Santa Time!)

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:39 pm

Hey Dave, Happy New Year

Installed a Belkin Hi-Speed USB 2.0 5-Port card today. and dusted things out while I was at it. Went to verify installation in the Device Manager and do see additional listings under USB controllers but none say "USB 2.0 Root Hub Device" like the user manual says there should be. Did something not go right, ya think. I ran the included Installation CD just to be sure, but still no 2.0 listing.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:06 am

Happy New Year Jim.

Do the new USB ports work? That's the important bit, not what they have been listed as.

You should know that this site may be closing any day now - you should get notified of our new 'residence'.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:06 pm

Thanks Dave,
Yes, they work... and I was told that the word "enhanced" indicates a 2.0 USB, and that DOES appear in the list.
Also, no shut down since the new VIA driver install... but, I think a little more time needs to pass before I feel confident of a fix.  Thanks for all your help.
Jim

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:35 am

Well... it's happened again... a little different this time.  Was watching an online video when she shut down.  The message on the blue screen said:

"Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is ID'ed in the Stop Message disable the driver or check w/ the manuf. for driver updates.  Try changing video adaptor.

Check w/ your hrdwr vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS mem. options such as caching or shadowing...."

Then some stuff about Safe Mode and the Tech Info:
"STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x7DF55c78, 0xA0982BF4, 0xA09828F0)"

Then something else I've never seen before... I clicked on "Help and Support" to see if I could learn anything and got this message box:
                    "Windows - No Disk
                        Exception Processing Message e0000013 Parameters 75b6bf9c  4                   
                        75b6bf9c "

What the hell is going on now?

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:16 am

Could just be a glitch - happens sometimes. Or it could be another indicator that your hard drive is a bit problematic. Unless you are getting the same error message repeatedly and quite often, I wouldn't bother with investigating each incident.

How much free disk space do you have?

When was the last time you defragged it?

Do you regularly cleanup temp files?

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:31 pm

About 20GB free out of 75.  Defragged a couple of weeks ago maybe.  And use the "Clear private data" on FireFox regularly... doesn't that cleanup temp. files?  What about temp files left by other users, i.e. the kids... when I clean up as an administrator do their accts get wiped, too?

But getting back to the shutdown.. it's actually the 3rd time in about a week or two. My son told me about one he had.

spaldini101
Contributor
Contributor

Post by spaldini101 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:03 pm

Just another shutdown this morning... right after I posted the reply. This one said it was device driver caused including : "Driver IRQL NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" 
                                                    SCSI PORT.SYS - Address F864c174 base at F8647000"
What the hell?  I have a bad feeling, one of these days...

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Well Jim, it's not a consistent error message, and the blue screen failures are usually indicators of hardware problems. The last time I experienced failures like you are getting, I ended up buying a new machine. I concluded after investigating just about everything, that it must be the motherboard. (The old hard drive is still working over a year later.)

It could be a hard drive problem, or memory. As you were confused by the memory tester options a while back, perhaps it might be an idea to take it to local repair place and ask them to check it for you.

It's going to cost money, whatever the problem is - maybe easier to fork out for a new base unit? At least you have your files backed up to your external drive. I hope you've got the CD's for your software too. I'd recommend sticking with XP too - so that you can be confident that software (QuickBooks for example) and printers etc will all work on a new PC.
Last edited by Squeezebox on Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.