Please help me !!!

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
pipara
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Please help me !!!

Post by pipara » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:23 pm

I would be extremely thankful to anyone who could help me out . Since a particular period my CD/DVD drive has not been functional . I mean I cannot find it in My Computer and I am unable to open the disc tray as well . I have to insert a paper clip point into the whole in front of the disc . I checked it in the Device Manager and in device properties .
this message appears in the device status :

'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.'

Mine is a Matshita UJ-832D .
please help me as the software engineer being an authorized person from SONY India recommends me to send the laptop to SONY for each and every small trouble . They charge me for it . anyone please help  :cry2: .

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Please help me !!!

Post by Squeezebox » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:55 pm

Try going into Device Manager, selecting the DVD drive and deleting it.
After a re-boot, Windows should be able to rebuild the driver.

Right-click on My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager

pipara
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

Post by pipara » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:13 pm

Thank you very much  for your reply . But as th driver came installed with the computer directly from Sony and I do not have the drivers required . The device manager dos not provide me with the option to delete the drive . It only allows me to uninstall it . As such my hands are tied . I hope you can help . Thank you in advance  :ysmiley:.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:36 pm

Most drives don't need drivers installed as such - Windows XP should recognise the drive and it should work.

Under DVD/CD-ROM Drives in Device Manager, you should see your drive listed.
When you right-click on it, you will have some options including 'update driver' and 'uninstall'.

Try the update drivers option first - and let your computer search on the Internet to see if there is an update to be found.

Uninstall is the same as delete. Or you could simply press the delete button with the drive selected.

As it doesn't work at all right now, you have nothing to lose in removing it and seeing if Windows fixes it on reboot.

The other option is to try Sony support again, and ask them to talk you through any actions you can take without sending it back to them. Alternatively, you could try a local repair shop - it could be that you need the drive replaced.