Re: No Desktop?

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
yayforminimoose
New FixmyXP Member
New FixmyXP Member

No Desktop?

Post by yayforminimoose » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:48 pm

This problem happened to me fairly recently. No one was working on it when it happened. I just came to my computer after I woke up and there were two program windows open [not fullscreen, and both windows normally open overnight. One is Ad-Aware SE Personal the other is Spyware- Search and Destroy] but no desktop behind it. No icons, no toolbar, only blue background.
I shut down the computer and rebooted. When I signed on again I realized that I couldn't get to the desktop or even see it. The only thing I could do was open Task Manager and shut down.
After a while I realized that I could choose the 'new program' option to carry out normal tasks.
It wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't an old computer basically loaned to me by my company. Plus if they urgently needed past information or more computers I would have to return it.
So because it's an office computer I can't wipe the drive an reinstall because I don't have the disks or go freely through the system deleting suspicious items. On top of that I can't just leave it unfixed in case it's needed.

If someone could tell me whats going on with my computer, or even better, tell my how I could fix it, that would be amazing.

thanks
evan

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:52 pm

Try starting in safe mode. Try 'Last Known Good Configuration' first, and then Safe Mode if it doesn't work in last good config.

Once in Safe Mode, use system restore to take the system back to before the problem appeared.

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Essexboy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:15 pm

Download the fixshell.cmd from my file site and run that should clear your taskbar problem but you may have malware present
http://cid-32d8666f4048075b.skydrive.li ... re%20files

Step #:
Download & Run HijackThis.exe
  • Download HJTInstall.exe to your Desktop.
  • Doubleclick HJTInstall.exe to install it.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
  • Click on Install.
  • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
  • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Copy/Paste the log to your next reply please.
Don't use the Analyse This button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
Don't have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

===============================================
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/essexboymkn/

If ignorance is bliss  why aren't more people happy?