windows error message

This section is for XP operating system problems and requests for help.
Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

windows error message

Post by Strum » Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:41 am

Don, i never got that error message sorted out and its really "bugging" :? me now. I have been advised by several people to do a system restore but I dont think that this resolves the problem. That means going back a couple of weeks and losing all I've downloaded since then. For now how do I turn off the error message? Please don't send me off to a link that beats around about the problem, I just want to know if anybody has a specific fix.
error: "Error Message: Microsoft Internet Explorer Has Encountered a Problem and Needs to Close"
I've done all the obvious, run all spy programs etc and sys is clean now. I also get the same message with windows explorer. Why am I getting these messages on a new system. If I can't find a fix here how do I turn off the messages and stop the desktop refreshing everytime I debug, send report, don't dent report, or close the error box???

Something to chew on. Please don't send me off to the microsoft site.

Strum :D :lol:
:guitarhero: [img width=248]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9080/headanim4sm.gif[/img]  This is my shadows shadow...

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

windows error message

Post by windowsxp550 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:20 am

Strum,

Here is what you need to do...

Click Start, then Run, then type msconfig
then hit Enter

Click on the Tab for Services and locate "Machine Debug Manager" and Uncheck it then click apply and reboot your computer.

This is a troublesome Visual Studio File that gets installed with other software. For my computer I have this same problem, in my case, the Machine Debug Manager installs with OFfice XP. It is an unneeded process and will not affect anything by disabling it.

Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

windows error message

Post by Strum » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:40 am

Well that fantastic, avatar sorted, error sorted! I have been asking this same question for weeks from various sources and nobody had a fix except for system restore or send me wandrin' of to microsoft. Thanks for that!

strum :D
:guitarhero: [img width=248]http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9080/headanim4sm.gif[/img]  This is my shadows shadow...

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

windows error message

Post by windowsxp550 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:54 pm

Glad I was able to help.

Just curious, did this problem start happening after you installed Office XP ? Or was it a different program?

Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

windows error message

Post by Strum » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:30 pm

hi, re:after you installed Office XP

after I installed a copy of office 2000 I think now that you say it. I knew it had to do with some installation but a system restore would not have done anything really except causing me a LOAD of hassle re-installing and doing a process of elimination. Knew there was a better answer!

Strum :)

Strum
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

windows error message

Post by Strum » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:46 pm

Hi I'm afraid the original problem is back. When I booted up today I got a message that I had changed something in msconfig and the pc is now starting in selective setup so I changed it back to narmal setup, restarted again but it keeps reverting to selective setup ant the "machine debug manager" returns with a tick in the box aswell. Any ideas on this?
Cheers!

Strum :lol:

thedon57
Regular Contributor
Regular Contributor

windows error message

Post by thedon57 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:25 pm

Strum this is what I have found on your problem you had in the first place

Repair Internet Explorer 6

A number of XP users have reported situations with Internet Explorer 6 becoming corrupted and reporting a number of different error. While there is certainly no guarantee, the two procedures losted below have restored functionality to IE6 for many users experiencing problems.

Note: Both methods listed require that the Microsoft Windows XP CD-ROM be available.

Method 1: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP.

(a) From the Start menu, select Run.

(b) In the Open field, Type sfc /scannow (Note: there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

(c) Select the OK button.

(d) Follow the prompts throughout the System File Checker process.

(e) Reboot the computer when System File Checker completes.

Method 2: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.x Repair for Windows XP

(a) From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.

(b) Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders.

(c) Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.

(d) In the All or Part of the Fill Name box, type ie.inf

(e) In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.

(f) Click the Search button.

(g) In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\ Inf folder.

(h) Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.

(i) Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

See if that works it did for me.

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

windows error message

Post by windowsxp550 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:40 pm

Strum,

That message (that your Pc is starting in selective Startup) is a standard message. You should check mark the "do not show this to me again" and click ok. Don't revert back to Normal Startup...

As I said before disabling this service will not affect anything. So don't worry.

Repeat the steps I outlined before, then reboot and check mark the box as and click ok, and you will be fine....

petersmyth1
Contributor
Contributor

windows error message

Post by petersmyth1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:13 pm

Stum

It's an IE problem so lets fix it in IE. :wink:

Open IE> Tools> Internet options> Advanced. scroll down the list and put a tick in Disable Script Debugging and take the tick out of the one immediately under it. Display a notification about every script error.
Peter

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is.

Floydoid
Contributor
Contributor

windows error message

Post by Floydoid » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:04 pm

There is another way to turn off error reporting:

Run Group Policy Manager (gpedit.msc), and navigate to: local computer policy / computer configuration / administrative templates / system / error reporting

then you can set it how you wish (I have every setting in this category disabled).
Image And silence that speaks so much louder than words of promises broken