Windows Auto Arrange Icons

Got an Windows XP tip to share? Or a software tip? Post it here.
ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Auto Arrange Icons

Post by ranril » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi!
I'm brand new to this forum, but have 20+ years on computers. My question regards the default placement of icons on the desktop using auto arrange. When I taught a class regarding desktop auto default placement, Windows arranged icons as follows:
1. "System Icons" first ie: My Computer, Recycle Bin
2. "Folders Icons" second, which were created by user
3. Finally, "ALL the shortcuts and files"

It now seems that there is a way to force some shortcuts to sort right after the system icons and BEFORE the FOLDERS ie: Google, Picassa, Turbo Tax. Then the balance of the shortcuts sort after the folders.
I would like to revert to the basic 3 sorts (system, folders & then ALL shortcuts), eliminating the preferential shortcuts, sorting right after the folders.

Thanking anyone in advance for the procedure to re-classify a shortcut to allow ALL to sort together.

ranril

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Windows Auto Arrange Icons

Post by Squeezebox » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:38 pm

Hello, and welcome.

Try arranging icons by type.  That should give you the arrangement you want.

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:23 pm

Squeezebox:
This doesn't work. The only things it rearranges are actual files like "*.exe" (not a shortcut). It puts them before the shortcuts in the grouping after the "Folders". I tried to send you a screen hotshoot, but it contained too many bytes and was rejected. Can I send you a hotshot to an email address for you to view?
I still have a grouping of shortcuts after "System Icons" and "Folders".
Any additional ideas? I tried to search the properties section of the shortcut and there isn't anything that will change the sort order.

ranril

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:53 pm

I don't know why it shouldn't work - it did for me and gave exactly the result you were looking for:
1. "System Icons" first ie: My Computer, Recycle Bin
2. "Folders Icons" second, which were created by user
3. Finally, "ALL the shortcuts and files"
Why have you got executables on the desktop? Maybe if you were to relocate them??

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:28 pm

Squeezebox:
I will always put an executable on my desktop before opening it. Where is it written in stone that you can't? It's the easiest place to find it, especially downloads. I removed the one I had, sorted by type, and it didn't make any difference. I obviously have a setting different than you do and this is the reason I have queried the problem. You're not the only one that can't give me the answer.
I am using the "Classic Windows style" Desktop, not the "Windows XP style" version. I don't bow to Microsoft when I know there is a better and faster way to do things. I am not a gamer or email only user. I do accounting, spreadsheets (fully macrotized), write data bases, etc. I also have, on the desktop, icons with shortcut keys attached. Maybe this has something to do with my query. 
Thanks for trying. If I do find the answer, you will be informed.

ranril

fleamailman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fleamailman » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:37 pm

I am with Dave on this one.

Perhaps you have locked the icons on your desktop, to unlock wound be righthand click the empty screen area and click 'unlock the icons on the screen', anyway pressing the aplications key of the keyboard while the curser is on a blanc area of the screen is the same as righthand click and here are the options given, hope one of them helps you.

aplications key = properties window
alt botton = close properties window
aplications key + i = properties icon window only
aplications key + i + a = set or unset auto icon arange
aplications key + i + d = show or hide desktop icons
aplications key + i + l = set or unset aline to grid
aplications key + i + m = set icons by medified
aplications key + i + n = set icons by name
aplications key + i + r = desk clean up
aplications key + i + s = set icons by size
aplications key + i + t = set icons by type
aplications key + r = display properties
aplications key + w = new
aplications key + w + b = briefcase
aplications key + w + d = word doc(if installed)
aplications key + w + e = close properties window
aplications key + w + f once = excel doc(if installed)
aplications key + w + f twice = folder
aplications key + w + p once = powerpoint(if installed)
aplications key + w + p twice = zip file
aplications key + w + s = shortcut
aplications key + w + t = text doc
aplications key + w + w = wav doc
The goblin took a hike, fleamailman's account has been taken over by a different serious me then.

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:46 am

Hi there,

I think you can get the sorting behavior you are referring to by using the Group Policy Editor (which is in XP Professional), go to start, then Run then type:

gpedit.msc

then hit enter.  Then navigate to:
Local Computer Policy/ User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/ Windows Explorer

Then locate Enable Classic Shell, and double click on it, and turn it on.  Then go to your desktop and try to sort. 

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:16 pm

windowsxp550,
I am running XP Home as I don't have a lan. Any suggestions for this version.
Thanks,
ranril

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:49 pm

Yes, there is another way to enable classic shell, but it involves editing the registry, for that reason, I First have to say this disclaimer...
-------
Disclaimer:  Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. Modify the registry at your own risk, Every effort has been made to ensure that registry edit instructions are correct and safe. FixMyXP cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your system by using this guide.

Before beginning this guide, please back up your registry
--------
Ok?  Still with me...Ok here goes.
Open your Registry Editor by going to Start, then Run then Typing regedit then hit enter

Go to this location:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

Right click in the right hand window and select New, then DWord.  Name the DWord, ClassicShell  (ClassicShell with no spaces and the "C" and the "S" capitalized).  Then click ok.

Now, double click on the ClassicShell Key you just created and give it a value of 1. 

Now reboot, and the Classic Explorer Shell should be active.

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:54 pm

Finally!!!!
I found the problem/solution. It was very simple, but none of us would have bet the farm on the answer.

The shortcut icons created initially by my software and placed on the desktop, sort in alpha order right after the system icons. ie: Pinnacle Studio, Picassa, Roxio, Turbo Tax

The shortcuts that I created myself from "Send To"-- "Desktop Create Shortcut" all sort in alpha order AFTER the Folders I created like Utilities, Downloads, Printers, etc.

When I deleted the shortcuts for Pinnacle, Picassa, Roxio, Turbo Tax, etc. (above) and then recreated them by right clicking on the  :PDT_Love_06:"EXE" file in Explorer, selecting "Send To" and finally "Desktop Create Shortcut", they all sorted in alpha order AFTER the Folders I created. Thus giving me what I wanted:
System Icons
Folder Icons
ALL Shortcut Icons
Thanks to all who offered suggestions. Hoping this will benefit someone else in the future.

ranril

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Squeezebox » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:59 pm

Well done! It's a case of Windows deciding the importance level instead of you. Now you've 'tamed' it into doing things the way you want.

I guess that you are quite organised about your PC, a good thing too.