blitz replying tips.

Got an Windows XP tip to share? Or a software tip? Post it here.
fleamailman
Rising Star
Rising Star

blitz replying tips.

Post by fleamailman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:11 pm

Ok, I imagine that I am not the only one who arrives at a site, hits the news posts button, comments, perhaps puts up a new thread and then moves on to the next site. Othertimes I may take a full look through the site more often it is the former, not the later in my case.

This thread has my tips, and also seeks imput too, 2cts welcome.

My way of blitz replying then:
- have 'canned replies folder' minimized to taskbar
- have window of email inbox minimized to taskbar.
- post then edit, no point in doing a slow perfect post if three people have replied before you.
- use hyphans and not numbers for points(as now so you can delete or add at will).
- for interagations marks use ' in place of " : 'yes'.
- keep an eye on what you are writing and see if you can make a canned if you feel that you have writing the reply before.
- when there is no exact canned, use an open ended canned(template), for example

run command
press: winkey + r button
type:
press: enter

or

press: start>control panel>
(just filling in the details and needed)

- create link replies for example:

Hi there, simply most malware will be removed if you follow the steps in the link given here; however, in the rare case that the malware beats the steps mentioned, then the link goes on to tell what to do after that.

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_M...Log-t2852.html

- learn to use the: alt + tab, ctrl + c, ctrl + v, hotkeys
- remember to keep an eye on your email inbox, feedback tells you if your posts have worked
- don't get into fights with people, bare in mind what they are saying, ask if you don't understand but let be.
- avoid emicons in canned, they change with sites.
- no need to post in sites that you feel unconfortable with, no need to fight lost battles either.
- always look for new sites even if you are happy with the ones you are at, you may find ones that either teach you new things or are just what you are looking for.

Anyway, I have broken one of my rules because I like to keep my post shortish but I hope this post pleases, or at least stimulates you to add something here since I know that I have left out a lot of other points too.
Sin.,
flea
Last edited by fleamailman on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The goblin took a hike, fleamailman's account has been taken over by a different serious me then.

Squeezebox
Administrator
Administrator

Re: blitz replying tips.

Post by Squeezebox » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:55 pm

Each to his own I suppose. My replies tend to be much more personalised, although I do have a number of solutions saved for reference or re-use.

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:46 pm

One of the neatest shortcuts I learned to use recently, to enter the text for a website in address bar...............

1. Type only the name of site in address bar.  ie: myfixxp
2. Press the {Ctrl-Enter} and Wa-La, the address completes itself. ie: http://www.fixmyxp.com/

I find this is faster, in most cases, than searching through your favorites.

Keep up the good work guys/gals (if we have any gals),
ranril

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:48 pm

ranril,

Cool, thanks for sharing that...I did not know that one. 

Another one that I learned more recently (this one requires a mouse with a scrolling wheel on it)  was when you were in any internet browser on a site and you wanted the text to be larger.  Hold the Control Button down and scroll the wheel of your mouse. It will auto increase the font (or decrease, depending on which way you scroll the wheel). 

ranril
Contributor
Contributor

Post by ranril » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:37 am

Be careful when you enlarge text this way. Sometimes you really have to work at it to come back down to original point size.  I tried this once and it messed up my fonts for a while. Maybe I didn't read the post I got properly.

ranril

windowsxp550
Administrator
Administrator

Post by windowsxp550 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:17 am

:yathink:

Or, to reset back to normal

For Firefox, Hit:

CONTRL + 0 
(0 is a Zero)

and for Internet Explorer , In the lower right hand side of the browser click on the arrow (see pic) and choose 100%

fleamailman
Rising Star
Rising Star

Post by fleamailman » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for all these replies which I must have turned off the nitification for because none came, I will add one more point to my original

- often it is better to type the reply to a post first onto wordpad and then just cut/paste from there, because not only does that help with editing but also when one closes the window, more or less, the canned is compleat too.
The goblin took a hike, fleamailman's account has been taken over by a different serious me then.

Essexboy
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Essexboy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:23 pm

• I use cans quite a lot at Geeks to Go and they are extremely usefull for repetative instructions like getting to safe mode or running malware tools.  The way I do it is to format the post on the website, so I can use bold, urls underlines etc.  Then I save it to notepad and bin the web version as an example there is this which originaly took 30 minutes to write but can now be posted in 10 seconds

First downloadewido anti-spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.
      This is a 30 day trial of the program
    • Once you have downloaded ewido anti-spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
    • Once the setup is complete you will need run ewido and update the definition files.
    • On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.
      • Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
    • Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
    • Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".
    • Under "Reports"
      • Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
      • Un-Select "Only if threats were found"
    Close ewido anti-spyware, Do Not run a scan just yet, we will shortly.
    1. Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.
      IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while ewido is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
    2. Lauch ewido-anti-spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.
    3. Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
    4. ewido will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.
      Once the scan is complete do the following:
    5. If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions"
    6. Next select the "Reports" icon at the top.
    7. Select the "Save report as" button in the lower left hand of the screen and save it to a text file on your system (make sure to remember where you saved that file, this is important).
    8. Close ewido and reboot your system back into Normal Mode and post the results of the ewido report scan.
Last edited by Essexboy on Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VISTA
XPsp2
Avast (of course)

http://spaces.msn.com/members/essexboymkn/

If ignorance is bliss  why aren't more people happy?